Stepping Stone to Securing Employment
Are you looking to kick start your job search? Reignite your career and Go Get Your Job!
Galway Executive Skillnet’s ‘Stepping Stone to Securing Employment‘ initiative will give you a renewed confidence to get back into the workplace by enhancing your job-seeking skills and building self-confidence.
The programme will run for a total of 15 days and includes modules on Goal Setting, Expanding Digital Capabilities, Personal Branding, Interview Skills, and Problem Solving. Read on for more information about Eligibility Criteria.
This Information Session will provide an overall summary of the programme, and how you can register to attend. Please note that places are limited for the programme, so you are strongly advised to attend if interested. You will also get an opportunity on the day to meet one-to-one with a career advisor in Galway to discuss your participation.
Galway Executive Skillnet facilitates an Employment Activation Programme (EAP), which has a clear focus on areas where skills deficits have been highlighted by member companies.
Galway Executive Skillnet has received funding from Skillnet Ireland for training courses through the Employment Activation Programme (EAP) initiative in 2019. The EAP is a 100% government-funded initiative aimed solely at training unemployed people. It provides skills which are in demand by industry, combined with direct access to employers through securing a work placement.
All courses funded under the EAP are free for job-seekers but will require up to 5-day work placement.
Please read the eligibility criteria below to determine if you are eligible to participate in our training for people who are seeking employment.
Eligible Individuals who are Welfare Payment Recipients
Unemployed people with an entitlement to a Jobseekers Allowance (JA) or Jobseekers Benefit (JB) payment from the Department of Employment Affairs & Social Protection (DEASP) may retain such payments subject to the Back to Education criteria of that Department.
People in receipt of other forms of income support from DEASP may retain such payments subject to the Back to Education criteria of that Department. Other forms of income support include:
- Disability Allowance
- Blind Pension
- Invalidity Pension
- Illness Benefit
- Supplementary Welfare Allowance
- Adult Dependents
- One-Parent Family Payment
- Back-to-Work Allowance
- Back-to-Work Enterprise Allowance
- Short-term Enterprise Allowance
- Farm Assist
- Rural Social Scheme
Eligible Individuals who are not Welfare Payment Recipients
Individuals who are not in receipt of a welfare payment from DEASP and whose circumstances are described below are eligible to participate.
- Former sole traders and business owners
- Recent graduates who are unemployed
- Retirees seeking to return to the workplace
- Individuals who fail to qualify for social welfare payments because of a spouse’s income
- Individuals signing on for credits but in receipt of no social welfare payment
- Individuals who have recently accepted redundancy payments
- Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals holding immigration Stamp 4
Programme Duration Conditions for Welfare Recipients
Programmes offered by Skillnet Ireland networks may be full or part-time and may be continuous or staggered over time. Programmes typically will incorporate a work placement, the duration of which is included in the overall course duration.
Programmes of 20 or fewer days’ duration
Programmes of 20 or fewer days’ duration may be pursued without prior approval from Intreo Offices/DEASP Scheme Areas. Individuals in receipt of a Job-seekers payment or other payment (listed above) should inform their local offices, wherever possible in advance, of their intention to participate in such short programmes.
Programmes Exceeding 20 days’ Duration
Individuals in receipt of a Job-seekers payment or other payment (listed above) must receive prior approval from INTREO Offices/DEASP Scheme Areas to participate on programmes delivered by training networks which exceed 20 days in duration. For example, Disability Allowance recipients should contact the Disability Allowance Section within DEASP.
Ineligible Unemployed Individuals
Skillnet Ireland, under its current mandate, does not provide training to unemployed people who fall into any of the following categories:
- Current participants on Jobs Initiative (JI) Schemes
- Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals holding immigration Stamp 1, Stamp 2 or Stamp 3
- Full-time students engaged in second or third-level education.
Important Additional Information for Unemployed Individuals
Please note that:
- Once eligibility has been established, it is the responsibility of the Skillnet network to decide who participates in training based on the network’s programme selection criteria
- Network managers may seek information about previous work history, education and career aspirations to ensure programmes that candidates are interested in completing are relevant
- If training occurs on the same day as a signing day, it is the responsibility of the learner to inform the INTREO Office and arrange an alternative signing day prior to commencing training
- All trainees are required to complete relevant programme documentation including a Participant Profile Form and a Training Evaluation Form
- After training is complete, learners may be contacted by Training Networks, Skillnet Ireland or a representative of Skillnet Ireland for the purposes of evaluating programmes and determining how learners have progressed since the completion of training
- Learners must be resident in the Republic of Ireland
I think Galway Executive Skillnet is doing a commendable effort opening your courses.
And you are the best of all the Skillnets out there!
Wow! Just Wow! I signed up for the Presenting with Impact course via Galway Executive Skillnet that took place this morning. And I've just opened my inbox to find a 41-page workbook to download. And we have homework! I just can't get over the calibre of the curriculum offered...
You're running such a valuable resource!
I would (and have) highly recommend the Managing Conflict course to my colleagues.
Stay Up To Date
Join our mailing list to receive updates on the latest courses, seminars and events run by Galway Executive Skillnet.