This 1-day programme aims to deliver some of the key skills in coaching either individuals or teams. It emphasises the need of cultivating a positive work environment for the effective uptake of the coaching process.
Overview and Objectives
Through the active engagement with the discussions & practical exercises participants will:
- Develop a greater understanding that Self-Awareness is essential before attempting to manage others in the coaching process.
- Learn about the challenges in the coaching process & have a greater appreciation of how their communication styles impact on the coaching process & the importance of listening skills.
- Understand & practice the steps of the GROW coaching model & the setting of SMART goals.
- Understand & appreciate the importance of delegation as an essential ingredient to staff development & growth.
- Practice the ground rules & key steps to giving effective feedback.
- Develop a personal action plan.
- Section 1 Effective Coaching
What is coaching? What are the benefits? & High-Performing Teams.
- Section 2 Challenges in Coaching
Self-Awareness, Personality Types – Communication Styles, Learning Styles & Motivation.
- Section 3 GROW Coaching Model
GROW Coaching Model, SMART Goals, Skill/Will, Communications – Conflict, Listening, Questions & Body Language.
- Section 4 Delegation
What is Delegation? Why Delegate? How to Delegate What inhibits delegation? Delegation & Performance Management Strategies.
- Section 5 Feedback
General Points on Feedback, Ground Rules & Feedback Model/Steps.
- Section 6 Develop an Individual Plan
Focus on self & also impact on others. Exercises include: Individual personality questionnaires & group exercise, role plays for feedback & coaching meetings, plenary & sub-group exercises, discussions & debriefing.
Ann McGarry is author of ‘Care of Leadership’. A committed human development consultant, she passionately believes that leaders are made, not born, and that leadership development can be taught. Leading is a conscious choice and the social context of leadership is pivotal for developing leadership effectiveness.